Want to learn more? Join our weekly newsletter to get actionable content — to your inbox every Thursday.
What is a drip campaign?
A drip campaign is of a series of time-based automated emails which are sent over a specified period of time to an email subscriber based on specific actions or account changes. A drip campaign is used to nurture a relationship by sending specific email communications at the right time in the customer’s decision making journey.
How do I make a drip campaign?
There are three main things you’ll need before you start a drip campaign: email marketing software, subscribers and a goal. If you’re just starting out building a drip campaign, here are a few ideas:
- A welcome campaign to offer subscribers more information on your product, service, company or organization.
- A lead nurture campaign to periodically offer incentives for prospective customers to convert.
- A follow-up campaign to request feedback and reviews after a purchase.
- A campaign to wish customers a happy birthday and offer them a discount promo code.
Here’s how to set one up:
- Determine which list of subscribers your campaign will be sent to.
- Create the email messages you would like to send in the campaign.
- Select a trigger to start your campaign. The trigger could be when someone is added to your list or is already in your list but has been given a new tag.
- Set up actions. Choose the message order and add time periods in between so not all messages go out at once. (You might want a day, a couple of days, a month, or even longer, depending on the campaign goal.)
- Save and start the campaign.
- Watch your metrics to see if you can optimize it for better engagement over time.
How does an email drip campaign work?
Email drip campaigns are made up of a trigger (the initial event that happens), actions (the email messages you send) and delay times.
First, an event happens which triggers the campaign. This may be someone signing up for a newsletter and getting added to a list. Or it could be someone making a purchase from your business.
Then, as long as you have set it up, your email marketing software will take actions — waiting the predetermined amount of time and then sending each email message.
How many emails in a drip campaign?
An email drip campaign can have as many emails as you like. You can set up just one thank you email to go out after someone attends an event. Alternatively, you can set up a drip campaign with hundreds of emails that go out over the course of years.
What is another word for drip campaign?
Drip campaigns can also be known as email marketing campaigns, marketing automations, sequences or journeys. Depending on the platform you use to set up a drip campaign, it may have different names.
Grow your business today
Get Started with AWeber Free Today!