How to Quickly Add Emojis to Your Email Subject Line
We recently held an AWeber customer workshop in Orlando, Florida. While we were there, one of the most frequently asked questions we received wasn’t about deliverability or what to write in your emails or the most popular integrations.
Nope. It had to do with emojis. Or, more specifically, “How do you add an emoji to an email subject line?”
Luckily, we had an easy answer: AWeber’s drag-and-drop editor has an emoji keyboard built inside its subject line field! That means you can add your favorite teeny-tiny hearts 💚, smiley faces 😆, and clapping hands 👏🏽 to your subject lines with a click!
How to add emojis to an email subject line in AWeber
- Step 1: Open your email draft inside your AWeber account.
- Step 2: Go to the subject field at the top left of the drag-and-drop editor, and hit the white smiley face inside. (It will turn yellow.) An emoji keyboard will pop up.
- Step 3: Click on an emoji to insert it into your subject line.
That’s it! It’s that simple. You can even copy and paste emojis from the keyboard and insert them into your email copy.
(Don’t have an AWeber account yet? Sign up today to build your list, create an email, and analyze your results! Your first 30 days are completely free.)
Pro tips for using the emoji keyboard in AWeber
- The emojis you’ve used most recently will be stored at the top of the window.
- Scroll through the emoji categories along the top of the keyboard. (Categories: smileys and people, animals and nature, food and drink, activity, travel and places, objects, symbols, and flags.)
- Use the magnifying glass to easily search for emojis instead of scrolling through them all.
- Hover your mouse over an emoji to see it larger and read its description.
- Change the skin tone in the “people” emoji category by clicking on the small dot in the bottom righthand corner of the keyboard. A horizontal bar will appear with different color options. Select one to automatically apply it.
Should you use emojis in your email subject lines?
We wanted to find out. That’s why we recently analyzed 1,000 emails from 100 of today’s top marketers. The result: 6.9% of subject lines included emojis.
While that’s a small percentage, using emojis could increase your open rates, according to Mark Asquith, marketing expert and founder of Rebel Base Media. (Asquith was also one of the 100 top marketers whose emails we included in our research.)
“A well-placed smiley, timer, or contextual emoji used alongside a well-thought-out subject line will really make your message stand out within someone’s already very busy inbox,” said Asquith, who frequently uses emojis in his own subject lines.
When it comes to your own subject lines, our advice is to test, test, test.
Set up an A/B test of two emails — one that uses an emoji in the subject line, and one that doesn’t — and see which version your subscribers prefers. This can help you optimize your open rates in the future.
AWeber lets you A/B test more than just subject lines, too. Our testing tools allows you to test almost everything, like send times, copy, templates, buttons, images, and more! Try a free 30-day trial of AWeber and you can start split testing today!
This article was updated on 5/22/2019.