9 Essential Questions For Your Email Marketing
Do you know why you’re using email marketing?
Email marketing can be incredibly valuable for business. But you need to ask yourself how it can be valuable for YOUR business.
When you realize how email marketing can be valuable for you, you’ll get a better idea of where you need to start and what you should focus on. This information can help save time, since you’ll be working on things you’ve already thought through.
Print out this worksheet and follow along; we’ll help you realize what you should focus on.
Your Business Goals
Before you do anything, you need to realize what your goals for your business are so you know what you should be focusing on.
So ask yourself this:
1. Do you currently see how email marketing can help your business?
- What does email marketing entail?
- Check out AWeber features!
2. What are you looking to accomplish?
- Are you looking to get more sales?
- Set up sales tracking in AWeber.
- Are you working to increase awareness of your company?
- Find out how you can collect subscribers.
- Or is your goal to educate your audience about a particular topic?
You will probably find yourself with more than one goal, so you’ll need to decide which of your goals is the most important, and work on the more important ones first.
3. And speaking of your audience, what is your target audience ?
- Is there a certain age range you’re aiming for?
Depending on your industry, you might want to adjust the terminology you’re using to fit for your target audience. If you’re teaching subscribers about social media, chances are the younger generations will be more familiar with the terms, but you may need to provide more explanation if you’re aiming for an older crowd.
- Is your business geared more to men or women?
Men and women can be interested in the same thing for different reasons. If you’re a fitness center looking to attract more women, you would want to advertise more of your weight loss programs rather than bulk up programs.
- Does location matter?
Where subscribers are located should also come into consideration. You don’t want to focus on your warm weather products or activities if the majority of your subscribers live in colder climates.
- How will you incorporate subscriber demographics in your campaign?
Building a List
Once you have established what you want accomplished, it’s time to think about how email marketing can help you reach those goals.
4. First, how will you ask subscribers to join your list?
- Are you going to ask when they visit your website? What will your web form look like? What will it say?
- Its easy to create a web form in AWeber!
- Will you ask after they’ve made a purchase?
- Use AWeber email parsers to integrate with a shopping cart.
- Will you advertise on social networking sites such as Facebook?
- Use the Facebook app to publish a form on your Facebook page.
When you’re comfortable with how you’re going to grow your list, you should start thinking about what features and techniques you will be using.
5. Why should subscribers want to join your list?
- Do you clearly explain the benefits the subscriber will gain from giving you their email address?
- Your web form should tell them why they should give you their email address and what they’ll be getting.
- Do you emphasize why your offer is valuable?
- What makes you different from your competition?
Your Email Campaign
6. When will you send messages?
- How often will you send?
- If you send too often, your subscribers can may suffer from subscriber fatigue, but at the same time you don’t want to send too little and have your subscribers forget about you!
- What days are best to send for your business?
- What time of day should you send?
7. What are you going to write about?
- Will you send coupons to increase sales?
- Would an informative company newsletter help?
- Do you want to share your blog content and more personal stories?
- You have the ability to set up autoresponders, broadcasts, and blog broadcasts in AWeber.
Once you know what part email plays, you’re ready to start thinking further ahead.
8. How do you know your email campaign is helping you reach your goals?
You can look at some of your stats to determine this:
- Is your list growing?
- Do subscribers stay on your list long?
- Are you getting new ones coming in?
- Check out what reports are available through AWeber!
- How many people are reading your messages?
Keep in mind, opens aren’t 100% accurate. Opens are tracked by a hidden image in the HTML, but some programs such as Gmail will have images off by default.
- How many people are responding to your call to action?
This is a much more accurate statistic than opens. The call to action will usually be a hyperlink for the subscriber to click on.
- AWeber allows you to see who has opened and clicked on links in your messages.
- Do you know how many people are purchasing from your emails?
Your Future Goals
You can’t stop now! You should always be looking at your goals, assessing where you’re at, and creating new goals.
Put a note in your calender to return to this worksheet in 6 months, 1 year, 3 years to set new goals, and decide how email marketing can help get you there more quickly.
What Have You Learned?
Now it’s time to look over your answers to get a clear idea of where you’re headed with your email marketing campaign.
Share your goals with us, along with any struggles you’re having, and we also encourage you to discuss this with each other!