How To Integrate Blogger and AWeber
By Justin Premick December 27, 2006
Blogging is an increasingly popular way of communicating with your current and potential customers and helps establish you as an authority in your field. It also helps you add search engine-friendly content to your site, increasing your online visibility. By integrating your AWeber account with popular blogging platform Blogger, you can convert occasional blog visitors to subscribers, notify subscribers when you’ve posted new content, and drive your subscribers back to your blog.
Update: AWeber has changed their interface, making this article outdated. For up to date instructions, visit the Blogger Integration Article in our Knowledge Base.
[This article is one of a series of AWeber integration articles that we are posting. To see all of them, please visit the Articles and Tips category.]
Blogging is an increasingly popular way of communicating with your current and potential customers and helps establish you as an authority in your field. It also helps you add search engine-friendly content to your site, increasing your online visibility.
By integrating your AWeber account with popular blogging platform Blogger, you can:
- Convert occasional blog visitors to subscribers.
- Notify subscribers when you’ve posted new content.
- Drive your subscribers back to your blog.
Integrating AWeber with Blogger – Step By Step
(This article uses screenshots from the new Blogger Beta. If you are using the previous version of Blogger, they might not match what you see exactly. Please refer to Blogger for assistance if you have difficulty finding any of their pages referenced here.)
Download a PDF of this article or follow the steps below.
A. Get your Blogger RSS Feed address (URL)
- Login to your Blogger account at http://www.blogger.com/
- On the Blogger Dashboard, click the “View Blog” link to go to your blog
- On your blog, find the URL from your browser’s address bar
- Add /atom.xml to the end of the URL. This gives you the Feed URL
- Copy the Feed URL
B. Create Feed Broadcast
- Login to your account at https://www.aweber.com/login.htm
- Select the appropriate list (where you want subscribers to your blog to be added) from the “Select List” dropdown menu in the upper right-hand corner
(Hint: To create a new list for your blog, use the “Create & Manage Lists” link in the upper right-hand corner of the control panel)
- Click on the “Messages” tab, then the “Feed Broadcaster” link
- On this page, click “Create New Feed Broadcast”
- Paste your feed URL in the text box labeled “RSS Feed URL”
- If you want your emails to be sent automatically after you post to your blog, mark the “Send Automatically” checkbox. If you prefer to review the email before sending it, leave that box unchecked
Just like regular broadcasts, Feed Broadcast messages are reviewed and sent at the “Messages” > “Broadcast Edit” page of the AWeber control panel, so if you leave this box unchecked, you will need to go to that page to send your Feed Broadcasts after they are created.
- Select a template for your blog emails from the list of options in the “Select a Template” box and click the “Load Template” button
I have chosen the “Clean – Construct” template for our example, but you can use any of the templates that we offer!
- Scroll to your HTML message version and look at the template
- Replace any “filler text” with your own text, or simply remove it
Please do not remove or modify any of the variables, such as:
unless you are familiar with RSS and what those variables represent.
- Once you have made the appropriate changes to your template, click the “Save” button at the end of the page
C. Create Web Form
You now need to create a signup form that you can place on your blog.
- In your AWeber account, click on “Leads” then “Web Form Generator”
- Click “Create New Web Form”
- Create your Web Form using the Web Form Generator
- After you save your form, you’ll be taken to the main Web Form Generator page. There, click the “Get HTML” link, and copy the form HTML from the popup that appears
D. Add Web Form to Blogger
So that people can sign up to get your blog updates, let’s now put the signup form on your Blogger blog.
- Return to your Blogger account at https://www.blogger.com
- On the Blogger Dashboard, click the “Template” link
- Paste your form HTML into the appropriate location in the template
Typically this is in the sidebar, so you’ll want to scroll until you find the line and paste somewhere after that.
The location of the form on your page will depend on where you paste that HTML – feel free to experiment and move it around! You can use the “Preview” button at the bottom of the page to see if you like where you have placed the form.
- After you have placed the form into your template, click the “Save Template Changes” button
Now, your blog visitors can sign up to receive your posts via email!
If you have any questions about this, or anything else about your account, please contact our customer support team. We have real, live people ready to assist you.