WordPress: Build Your List from Comments

A while back, we announced the AWeber Web Form Plugin for WordPress. Today, the widget is getting a few new features.

Specifically, it now has the ability to allow subscribers to sign up to your list when they leave a comment on your blog or register there – without having to fill out a separate web form.

In addition, the plugin now comes with a dashboard pane, giving you access to information about how well it is working for you.

How Does It Work?

If you missed our original post about the Web Form Plugin for WordPress, it allows you to install an AWeber web form on your WordPress blog, like so:

The best part about the new subscribe by commenting feature is how easy it is to use. All you do is turn it on, and your blog’s visitors will see a checkbox whenever they leave a comment or register. Check it out:

Once you update or install the AWeber WordPress plugin, you simply check a box and choose the list to which you want subscribers to be added. For complete instructions, consult our knowledge base.

As a final touch, you’ll now see this on the home page of your WordPress dashboard:

This dashboard pane gives you a quick overview of how the plugin is performing for you, letting you know how many people are signing up for your mailing list by commenting or registering on your blog. It also keeps you up to date on the latest email marketing news and tips published right here on the AWeber blog.

Heard enough? Download the AWeber WordPress plugin for free.

Why Is This AWesome?

First, it makes it easier for visitors to your blog to subscribe. Sometimes, even the most interested reader overlooks a web form, and this gives them another chance to sign up: always a good thing. In addition, the potential subscriber doesn’t need to fill out a separate form. Checking a box while already leaving a comment is a lot easier than commenting, then finding and filling out a completely different web form.

Second, let’s look at who will be subscribing via this feature. They only get added when they’re either commenting or registering on your blog. This means that the people who are subscribing using this feature are very interested in what you have to say. Pre-qualified, engaged, active: whatever you call these subscribers, they’re the cream of the crop when it comes to who you want to be on your list.

By:
Education Marketing Associate

Become a Better Email Marketer

Why Subscribe?

36 Comments

1. Hey Nick

This is a great idea and a lot of people use WP -

However- Does Aweber have one that can be developed (or is already developed) for the comment areas on the Drupal CMS?

I know you guys just launched an opt-in for Drupal- but having this same feature for Drupal would really open Aweber up for us and a lot of our clients who we install and design build Drupal sites for.

Any ideas on a module for this coming from Aweber or the Drupal community?

Thanks again-
    Aaron

11/3/2011 12:31 pm
  2. AWeber is getting user-friendlier and friendlier. I hope this feature came out last year!

11/3/2011 1:01 pm
  3. I just added the plugin to my site, very easy to install. Thank you Nick for bringing this to my attention.

11/3/2011 1:40 pm
  4. This is genius. Thanks for putting this together. I can’t wait to install it.

11/3/2011 2:09 pm
  5. Done! I have been wanting to look into how to do this as I’ve seen some plugins that autofill opt-in forms but I didn’t know which they were.. this looks even better and easier, love it.

Thanks for always staying cutting edge in this business, appreciate it!

Angela Wills

11/3/2011 3:35 pm
  6. Great job guys this is AWesome.

Now if there was a way I could integrate aweber with highrise you guys would be perfect!

11/3/2011 4:52 pm
  7. awesome! very useful :-)

11/3/2011 5:53 pm
  8. This is a great tool! Thanks!

11/4/2011 4:24 am
  9. A very nice added feature. Glad AWeber is starting to catch up with everyone else.

Now, as a web developer/business coach/WordPress geek who always is thinking of how to make WordPress easier for his clients – what we really need from you guys is an easy, no brainer way to add forms to pages and posts in WordPress. You’ve made the sidebar widget plugin work pretty nicely. Love to see maybe a shortcode plugin or something similar that allows non-techie users to embed froms they create in AWeber’s form editor without having to mess with code at all. Shortcodes could be that solution.

And please, could you guys move a little faster on some of these things? Been hearing for a year that there’s an iPhone app coming.

11/4/2011 8:23 am
  10. Very cool feature – thanks.

After installing, I am not seeing the AWeber feed in my dashboard, though. I’m getting the following error: RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: Too many redirects.

11/4/2011 10:31 am
  11. Nice. The WordPress app was to showcase your API. Does this mean that the API now allows us to directly subscribe members from our own site? For example, subscribe new members to my members newsletter upon signup.

11/4/2011 3:13 pm
  12. Jon

I like this and am sure glad I found this. I’ve just started using wordpress and love the panel, now I love it more, thanks to this plug-in.

11/4/2011 6:19 pm
  13. Thanks! Got it to work, but had a problem finding the save button. No matter what browser I used, the save button was covered up by the gray thank you for creating with wordpress bar.

11/5/2011 6:15 pm
  14. veni swan

This is a good idea putting this nice dashboard areas for users
    very useful for peoples easy sharing, giving opinion, comment or getting
    the News access information for build ours business be better.

11/6/2011 9:36 am
  15. Steve

Another feature you should add to this is the ability to store every single comment a user posts into the Aweber database, so then you can browse each customers/prospects comments and segment them into a different groups.

This would enable marketers to build databases on customers questions and opinions, made searchable by Awebers segmenting and search features.

11/6/2011 4:10 pm
  16. This is exciting news! I already can’t wait to use this new tool.

11/10/2011 3:56 pm
  17. What a great feature to add! I am excited to install it… QUESTION: I have Disqus comments enabled on my blog. Do you know if this feature integrates with Disqus?

11/16/2011 10:28 am
  18. Eoin,

Yes, adding subscribers via the API from other 3rd party integrations has been released this morning. You can read more about it here:

Code samples:

11/16/2011 11:21 am | Follow me on Twitter
  19. I just installed the plug-in. thank you very much for sharing this info, I think it is very useful.

11/17/2011 4:27 am
  20. this sounds like a good tool to use thanks #1

11/18/2011 1:52 pm
  21. Bravo! This will make things so much simpler. Gives me more time to concentrate elsewhere.

11/26/2011 2:17 pm
  22. LOVE, love, LoVe this! Thank you!!! :)

12/6/2011 6:40 pm
  23. Melinda Sutton

Awesome- can not wait to try it out.

3/25/2012 8:36 pm
  24. Great idea, but does this work with a blog that uses Disqus? It is not showing up on mine.

Thanks

4/19/2012 9:47 am
  25. James,

This works with the built-in comments in WordPress. It does not extend to Disqus-managed comments.

4/23/2012 12:51 pm | Follow me on Twitter
  26. I’d love to see this updated to include an opt-in form at the bottom of blog posts, similar to Opt-In Skin and the like. Is that something AWeber is working on or will be working on?

5/14/2012 2:56 pm
  27. Tara,

Duly noted! Right now, you can add web forms to actual posts by just copying and pasting in the javascript, just like you would any page.

Feedback and feature suggestions like this are the way the know what everyone wants, so keep ‘em coming.

5/15/2012 10:29 am
  28. My main draw to having a plugin do this (versus dropping the javascript in) is to track which blog posts bring in the most leads. Looking forward to this being added soon!

5/15/2012 12:12 pm
  29. I just inspire to know that inspiration how to build a list by using blog comments. Anyway I would like to say thanks for your announcement. Looking forward more! :)

8/18/2012 5:24 am
  30. Is there a way to track subscribers with this plugin? I see you have stats on the dashboard homepage, but that includes all sources of subscribers. Any way to view just comment subscribers to see how well this plugin works?

8/27/2012 11:27 am
  31. TM

Hi Nick Moore. that is a fantastic way to have some more readers but wait! how much long a comment poster will be my reader as he have checked the link “newsletter” as he understand it “terms & condition”

8/28/2012 7:12 am
  32. @Tara, the drawback to javascript is that it can slow the page load down. I like my sites to be as optimized for speed as possible. Can we have a javascript free way of tracking which post bring the most subscribers?

11/3/2012 1:17 am